Book Author Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in publishing with OSV. You may submit a query letter, and if our editors consider your topic a strong fit for our current publishing plans, we will be in touch to request your manuscript and proposal documents. Please be aware that we do not accept submissions that have been simultaneously submitted to other publishers. We do our best to respond within 8-10 weeks of initial submission of a query letter. May God bless you and your work for his Church!
What should I know about OSV?
OSV is the country’s largest not-for-profit Catholic publishing company. It was founded in 1912 by Father John Noll to “serve the Church.” Today, OSV publishes a newspaper, periodicals, religious education materials, pamphlets, and books. We publish between 30 and 40 trade book titles a year.
We have two main trade book publishing seasons: spring and fall. The bulk of our sales are to distributors (web and print), bookstores, parishes, schools, and individual consumers – the man and woman “in the pew.” Our primary audience is North America. (A copy of our book catalog can be obtained by writing: OSV Book Marketing Department, 200 Noll Plaza, Huntington, IN 46750 or emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
What kinds of books are of interest to OSV?
We are particularly interested in the following categories:
- Personal/Spiritual Growth--Books that accompany readers on their spiritual journey and offer unique, practical insights for growing in friendship with God
- Prayer—Devotionals that help readers draw nearer to God
- Scripture—Books about how to read, understand, pray and apply Scripture, as well as Bible studies aimed at target markets or specific themes in Scripture
- Family and Marriage—Books that reflect on the nature of marriage and practical books on marriage prep, parenting, and family life
- Biographies —Informative and inspiring biographies of saints and other key figures in the Church's history
- History--Informative, unique histories related to the Catholic Church, especially in the United States
- Faith and Culture—Books about the intersection of faith and contemporary culture
- Evangelization, Apologetics, and Catechetics—Books that help readers explain, defend and share the faith with others
- Worship—Books about understanding and experiencing the graces of the sacraments, especially the Eucharist
- Parish—Books that help pastors, leaders and parishioners conduct parish life more effectively
We do not currently publish fiction or poetry.
Why should I publish with OSV?
OSV is dedicated to publishing books that accompany Catholics on their walk with God, wherever they are in their faith journey. We are always interested in partnering with authors who can join us in our mission to serve the Church by serving her individual members. We reach a national Catholic audience through our many periodicals, our highly successful web, email, and mail campaigns, and other promotions. We also work with authors to build their personal platforms and lend their ideas and expertise to selling their own books.
Although we not accepting unsolicited manuscripts at this time, please check back in the future.